MBC pulls scene, closes pop-up early as 'Perfect Crown' history row grows
Published: 23 May. 2026, 15:11
Updated: 24 May. 2026, 09:34
-
- SEO JI-EUN
- [email protected]
A scene from the sixth episode of the MBC drama 'Perfect Crown', where characters Seong Hui-ju and Grand Prince Lee An attend a waltz during the second act of a royal banquet, an exclusive gathering of high-ranking political and business elites. [MBC]
MBC, the coproducer and domestic broadcaster of "Perfect Crown," said Friday it will delete a disputed scene from the drama and close its pop-up store ahead of schedule following accusations of historical distortion.
The scene in question, from episode 11, will be removed from the broadcast, though the network said the edit would take several days to implement.
A pop-up store at The Hyundai Seoul in Yeongdeungpo District, western Seoul, will close on Monday, three days earlier than originally planned. Merchandise sales will continue through Saturday, with the space operating as an exhibition only on Sunday and Monday.
Organizers notified advance ticket holders that the schedule and format had been changed "due to operational reasons on site," though industry observers widely interpreted the move as a response to the growing controversy.
The drama, which concluded its run on May 16, drew criticism after episode 11 depicted a royal enthronement ceremony in which the king wore a nine-tasseled crown — associated with vassal states — rather than the twelve-tasseled crown reserved for sovereign emperors, and courtiers called out cheonse (a thousand years) instead of the Korean sovereign's manse (ten thousand years). Critics argued the scene lent credence to China's Northeast Project claims over Korean history.
Lead actors IU and Byeon Woo-seok, director Park Jun-hwa, and screenwriter Yoo Ji-won have issued public apologies.
The controversy has been further compounded by the disclosure that the Korea Creative Content Agency provided production funding for the drama.
The agency said it was "reviewing whether any regulations had been violated during the support process and considering further action," raising the possibility that funding could be reclaimed.
This article was originally written in Korean and translated by a bilingual reporter with the help of generative AI tools. It was then edited by a native English-speaking editor. All AI-assisted translations are reviewed and refined by our newsroom.
BY PARK JONG-SUH [[email protected]]





with the Korea JoongAng Daily
To write comments, please log in to one of the accounts.
Standards Board Policy (0/250자)